Nellie"s Needles

Friday, March 31, 2006

Moonlight Madness

I had begun this piece in a Jane Sassaman workshop, which my younger son and daughter-in-law had given me as a present .... including airfare to Chicago. To see the piece that resulted from this class for my daughter-in-law, Jeanette, go to her website.

"Moonlight Madness" - 37"x43" - 2005

Description: Only in the moonlight do you see bold shapes and colors. The flower petals and leaves are the same paisley shape. The circles in the border represent a bit of magic ... or are they fairies?

Technique: Machine applique and machine quilting.

Materials: cotton fabric; cotton, metallic and polyester threads; oil pastels (on vine and leaves in the outside border).

Exhibitions: 2005 Dogwood Arts Quilt Show - Knoxville, Tennessee
awarded Second Place
"2006 Festival of Quilts" Folklife Museum - Farragut, Tennessee

Jane Sassaman's applique technique is uniquely her own. I was happy to add it to my "bag of tricks". The background of this piece is not "wholeclothe". I was able to control the value placement in the background because each section is appliqued in place. As a matter of fact, I ran short and substituted a different fabric for one section.

No comments: