Nellie"s Needles

Monday, June 05, 2006

I'm Here

We have arrived in Michigan. It hardly seems as if we had ever left. Our young families did a good job "opening" the cottage over Memorial Day weekend. So good, that for the first time in all the 45 summers that I've been coming here I felt that I could just move my stuff in and do "my own thing". The first evening of our arrival I had my Brother s1500 set up and was quilting. Yeah!

"The Beach" - 8"x10" - 2003

This is the first quilt scene that I had ever made. The Summer 2003 issue of AQS's magazine, American Quilter, got me started. The article, "Accidental Landscapes" by Karen Eckmeier, looked like fun and easy to do. One of her sample projects was a beach scene, so I thought I'd try do our beach on Lake Michigan. This was done while I was in Tennessee and it's from my memory and feelings about this beach that I've been playing on since I was 20 years old.

Stay tuned for more pieces done in this technique. I'll also include a general description of the "layered curves" technique.

5 comments:

dot said...

I really like this little quilt. It certainly looks like the ocean or Lake Michigan. Like the beach anyway.

Finn said...

So happy to hear you arrive safely and how wonderful to be able to just "settle in". I'm sure you have more than earned the help from the younger family members..*VBS*

Your side of MI beach, reminds me of the WI side, down near Port Washington, just north of Milwaukee. Such a wild and free place it seems, while walking there. And since I'm a woodlands child, it's quite magical to see the waves crashing on the shore line, and that seemingly endless expanse of water..*S*

Unknown said...

This quilt is so pretty and has a great sense of depth. I wonder if your "layered curves" is the same I'm thinking of. Can't wait to see.

Ali Honey said...

I love your scene quilts. You have kept the lines clean and uncluttered. ( so many people over embellish )It gives depth and serenity to the scenes. Well done!Make some more...?? Cheers Alison.

Elle said...

The Beach is beautiful...