Nellie"s Needles

Thursday, January 11, 2007

"Gemstones"

Gemstones - 17"x16" - 2006

I had been given 6" blocks of fabric that were patterned with what I thought were semi-precious stones. I was just playing when I cut and sewed and then recut and resewed them together several times ala Ricky Tims "Harmonic Convergence" technique. It is quilted with a neutral palette of thread colors.

It is exhibited at MB Gallery in Chicago, Illinois.

All photos are clickable for you to view a larger version in a separate window. Click the back arrow icon of your server to get back to this post.

7 comments:

Helen said...

I like the way the threads hang off the edges. I notice you are only allowed 10 comments. How come? Is this a new feature of the new blogger?

Shelina said...

I like the threads you have hanging out of the quilt in both this one and the one you posted last time. How do you do that?
A convergence quilt is on my list of quilts I want to make.

Nellie's Needles said...

Helen,
Thank you for your comment.

About the # of "allowed comments".
The new "easy edit" Blogger format page has a permanent "5" in front of the comment section on the edit page that showed up on my published blog. If there were more than 5 comments for a posting, only the first 5 showed up. So...I typed in a "10". Then "10 comments" showed up at the bottom of my postings even though there were fewer or none. My solution was to type in "10 allowed". I've checked Blogger Help, but found no solution. Has anyone else had this problem?

Nellie's Needles said...

Shelina,
To get the full story about how this technique developed, click on the label "Crinkle Quilts" to read all the postings about it.

Gerry said...

These fabric art pieces are lovely. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Nellie,
I love your work and am wanting to see the show. I hope it will be there, at MB Gallery, for a bit as the weather here is about to take a major shift for the worse tonight through the weekend. These 'crinkle' quilts are such wonderful textural pieces! Thanks for showing the works.
Karen

Anonymous said...

It's very interest to read, and i want to know the detailed process,and i had some of gemstones details, to see the more information.