Nellie"s Needles

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Indiana Sunset

A year ago last August, a niece had taken this photo somewhere between Indianapolis and Bluffton. It was a special day for my sister when all six of her children "came home" with all of their children. It was a memorable time and just before her radical surgery. It's also the last time that she felt like "herself".
I've interpreted this sunset that embodies so much meaning into a small quilt as a birthday present for her (which is later this month).

"Indiana Sunset" - 13"x 11"
It ended up with quite a bit of pastel work to help light up the sky and to define the foreground. I also lightly swept the flat side a green pastel stick across the quilted black trees just give a hint of color that can be seen at that time of day.

While working on this piece it occurred to me how comfortable I feel working in this scale (13"x 11") for large landscapes. This collage has no orts. It felt strange to rummage through stacks of fabric instead of digging in a big bag.

PS: sshh! if you know my sister. She doesn't have a computer or access to one so I feel safe that sharing this won't ruin the surprise.

11 comments:

alobsiger said...

It's a beautiful stitched interpretation of a beautiful photo! Having logged many miles between Bluffton and Indianapolis, I can remember many stunning vistas in that flat land.

Joyce said...

You did a wonderful job. I'm sure she'll love it.

Michele Bilyeu said...

What a beautiful and loving gift, Nellie. Let's hope the memories of that time and all it meant to her helps her to remember that she is part of a much bigger and always beautiful and changing world as she gets her health back and feels like her own new self, in all ways. Like these sunsets, the light rises above the dark, even as the sun sets, because we alwas know a new day, and new light and more beauty then comes again. Sending her and you hugs, and mum's the word for Christmas/Birthday season surprises! Being a Christmas Eve baby, I know what it's like to have a December birthday so I just know how much this is going to mean to her!!!

Doreen G said...

Wow Nellie that is so beautiful -Your sister will truly love it.

Terri Stegmiller said...

A beautiful piece Nellie!

Darcie said...

What a lovely way to capture such an emotional phase in your sister's life. She'll love it.

Both are worth a thousand words!

Shelina said...

Nellie, this is gorgeous. I'm sure your sister will love it.

Micki said...

They are both beautiful creations. Your sister is lucky to have someone whos cares so much about her.

FARBTUPFER said...

A great interpretation - and I am looking forward to our journey next year to Indiana.
REgards
Waltraud

Teodo said...

It's MERAVIGLIOSO and I think that is and will be a treasure for Tessa.

Now I will send an e-mail to my friends so they will see this wonderful work.

Thanks Nellie.
ciao ciao

Teodo said...

This is a beautiful gift for your sister.
ciao ciao