Nellie"s Needles

Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Silk Quilt for Christmas Present

About twelve years ago I had made a silk cuddle quilt for my friend. She absolutely loved it ... to death. Silk is light-weight, soft and fluid. A silk quilt gives just the right amount of warmth for an afternoon nap no matter the season. I've made a new one to replace the tattered one that she's gallantly been trying to keep mended.
The center panel is an Anne Kline silk scarf that has special meaning for my friend. The brightly colored silk print expands the center and sets off the lion on point. The muted green calms the "shouting" orange and pink.
Her old silk quilt was hand-quilted. This one is done by machine. I was inspired by Ferrets marvelous work. Her patterning is dense, whereas I kept my variations on the spiral open to maintain a soft drape to the quilt. To help keep that quality I used Thermore ultra thin batting.

The backing is made from one of my friend's favorite dresses. She had passed it onto me, but it was more "her" than "me" so it had just hung in my closet for the last year or so. It was a wonderful batik printed rayon that had long sleeves which produced four squares in the center. The double layered bodice had enough material to make the rest of the back.
The muted hues on this side is a nice foil for the bright orange and pink silks on the other. A soft light brown cotton print for the binding bridges the two sides.

Sssshhhh! if you know my friend, Alicia.

10 comments:

dot said...

What a special gift. She is going to love this.

Joyce said...

It's gorgeous. A friend of mine collected silk shirts from thrift stores and made a queen size for their bed from them. We painted some silk for the border so she would have enough the same for a non-pieced border. It was beautiful too.
Have you ever tried silk batting? I've never seen it in person but I wonder if it would be too slippery with silk top and batting?

Darcie said...

What a gorgeous piece...from front to back! I love your innovative back...very clever...and lovely! She will, no doubt, love this one to death as well!

Vicki W said...

A silk quilt, what a luxury!

p said...

hey nellie, love the lion quilt...it has such an asian feel. Very powerful!

Janet said...

Truly lovely! I know your friend will love this one to death too. Have a wonderful Christmas.
Janet in the cold and snowy country in Nova Scotia, CANADA

McIrish Annie said...

Another fabulous job, Nellie! and great reuse of beautiful fabric..

Kay said...

Lovely! What a great idea to use beautiful fabrics, and the softness! I can almost feel it.

brunella said...

Beautifull present!!!!!....ciao,ciao from Italy

Cher said...

stunning quilt-fabulous quilting-great back!