Nellie"s Needles

Monday, August 25, 2008

Sewing with Grandsons

His brother, Jackson, had created a sleeping bag for one of his stuffed animals so Jennings had to have a sewing project, too. He had lain claim to his uncle's childhood "Gizmo" (it's difficult for me to throw anything away) and decided to make a quilt for him.
One side is pieced 8" blocks and the other represents a German flag. It was up to him to figure out how many blocks were needed and then to choose twelve fabrics for the quilt. I cut them out and he designed the quilt and pinned ...
and sewed them all together on the Pfaff 360. This machine is set up on a low side table in my studio exclusively for children to operate.
The quilting was done on the much newer Pfaff Creative 7530. Jennings found it easier to control the quilt by standing rather than sitting at this machine.
His cousin, Winston, didn't have a project in mind but he really wanted to sew and was most willing to help me out on another project. I have a stack of blocks that need binding for Caron's "and still counting" project.
Winston bound several blocks including one he had stitched Colonial knots onto last summer.
I sure wish he, or someone else, would stick around long enough to bind them all so they could be mailed off to Caron. I like the stitching knots in a spiral pattern on the blocks, but not the binding part.

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

That looks like it was a lot of fun for everyone!

Karoda said...

how simply cool is this!

jenclair said...

Great work all around!

Cathie said...

Kudos to you Nellie for teaching this cool guys to stitch.

Dale Anne Potter said...

Nellie, I tagged you for an award on my blog.

It looks like the GRANDS had a FABULOUS time!!!

Caron said...

The knots are almost calming. And I have to agree after making hundreds of them, the bindings are less than fun. Thanks for helping with this project!
Caron