Nellie"s Needles

Sunday, November 30, 2008

SOLD!

Woo Hoo! Each time a piece of my art sells I feel great excitement that someone has appreciation enough to spend their money on it ... especially in this economy.

Vincent's Flowers - 33"x23" - 2002
As I've stated in my sidebar, I don't make art or quilts to sell, but I do sell ... meaning I create whatever pleases me rather than what either I or a gallery owner/curator thinks will appeal to buyers. I realize how fortunate I am not to have to make a living from my creations ... that I have the freedom to go my own way.

This piece sold from the Cliffdweller's Gallery on Glades Road in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. It, along with nine other quilts, have been there since my weekend in the mountains a few weeks ago. One of the owners knew of my work and requested that I bring quilts to present to her other five partners. All of them enthusiastically accepted my art quilts to exhibit and sell in their gallery.

It pleases me that there are no rolled up quilts stashed away in my closets (except for the one that alternates on the wall in my living room with the other one I cannot bear to part with). All my creations are hanging in galleries in Tennessee, Michigan, and Illinois. Woo Hoo!

To read about my creating "Vincent's Flowers" go here.

11 comments:

Kay said...

That's wonderful, Nellie. It's a beautiful quilt, and I'm not surprised it sold.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Wow...that's great! Isn't it nice to know that your work is appreciated...good for you!

Diane Cransac said...

Congratulation on your sale. You do wonderful work and I'm sure it shines all the more because you do what inspires you NOT what you think will sell. This has been an issue on my mind a lot these days as I consider opening an etsy shop. Do I make what I want ro what will sell. I have settled on making what I want and hopefully someone will appreciate that choice.

p said...

good for you!! it is a beautiful beautiful piece, love hearing it!

allie aller said...

The quilt is a beauty...congratulations, Nellie!

Karoda said...

Congrats on the quilt finding its home :) And I share that sentiment about not being dependent on having to sell work. I don't think I could maintain the drive and focus for long if I had to.

Kim Hambric said...

Congratulations on the sale. It is a beautiful, vibrant piece.

Could I please use some of your closet space for my stashed away pieces? They are taking over the house.

Teodo said...

Congrats Nellie, it's wonderful...........and think that when somebody will ask about your flowers quilt they will speak about you and your creativity.
ciao ciao

Unknown said...

Congrats Nellie! It is a beautiful quilt and so wonderful that it has a new home where it will be loved.

jude said...

hey congratulations. woo hoo to you!

^ said...

OMG...i just saw your blog..I love your work!! You sew divinely!!:)
Dana