Nellie"s Needles

Monday, December 29, 2008

Time Pieces

This past summer a friend gave me two old pocket watches. I tried to talk her into keeping them, but she'd rather I took them apart and use their workings as opposed to their continuing to take up drawer space. Sooooooo......
once I located a set of screw drivers small enough to do the job, I did. In addition I rounded up all the watches taking up drawer space in my own house to make these pins as gifts.
It astounded me that the pocket watch innards were engraved with wonderful patterns. And then there were all those fun little wheels and sprockets and "stuff".
I titled all but one of the pins "Time Piece". The foundation for each is hand dyed wool with fabric pieces (made as leaves for my mountain series) and wool roving felted into it with a felting needle.
The watch parts were stitched onto the adorned wool fabric. Then a piece of fabric stiffener cut smaller than the wool was layered between it and a backing fabric that is just black cotton. Both layers were sewn through while I attached the variegated yarn trim. A jewelry backing pin is stitched onto the back side.
I fell in love with the assortment of tiny screws. I ended up encasing them in a watch housing case with the face of a once favorite watch. It's titled "Loose Screws" and it was most tempting to keep this one for myself.
However, I could not stop thinking of my cyber friend, Paula (Self-taught Artist blog) all the while. She's the one who's creating the 100 art clock series which was the motivation for my 100 quilted lake pieces. This pin is now where it belongs ... in her possession.

I introduced my older son to Paula's clocks on her website. He was greatly intrigued and purchased two ... one as a house gift for his best friend who's a train buff and this one that hangs in his own kitchen.
I'm spending the holiday's in the kitchen with this clock and think of Paula when I check the time. So, if her ears are ringing ......

PS: I made a Christmas ornament out of the casing of the big Elgin pocket watch for my friend's tree. Instead of clockworks inside, it's filled with an antique brass filigree piece that looks like a snowflake.

11 comments:

Kay said...

Wonderful! You are endlessly creative. I like your friend's clocks, too.

Vicki W said...

The pins are very cool!

arlee said...

These are delightful!! So glad to see them as brooches, rather than "assemblage" or cutesy people :} I get tired of all the same stuff elsewhere :}
Putting all the screws in one was a truly inspired touch! The background fabrics you used make them very contemporary Steam Punk----love 'em.

jenclair said...

Love the pins! I've always been fond of watch innards and have quite a few stored up wondering what to do with them. One of my father's friends was a jeweler and repaired watches, and my father repaired clocks.

Nellie's Needles said...

Thanks to each of you.

Arlee, I had seen some of that jewelry and was intrigued. However, that had already been done so I came up with my own way with the materials I had on hand. I like your term, "brooch", better than "pin".

Jenclair, what a treasure trove you have.

Kristin said...

Nellie,

I love your watch pieces brooches! You are so creative!

Kristin in SC

Unknown said...

Inspired! And the brooch for Paula is just perfect for her! Very thoughtfull. Enjoy these holidays with your family!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

These are beautiful and such an intriguing use for watch bits. Anyone wearing one of these will have a real conversation piece and certainly one-of-a-kind. Love them!!

jude said...

...i really love the concept of thees little "time" pieces. Happy New Year Nellie!

Anonymous said...

lilibulle from france.
Your work is wonderfull!! you are so créative!! congratulations!! et a bientôt!!
123lilibulle.canalblog.com

Mieke said...

Glad I found your blog!! you make such great art!!! Love it!!!