Nellie"s Needles

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Cyber Fyber Exhibition

Many of you may have been keeping up over this last year with the creation of the international fiber arts exhibition CYBER FYBER by fiber artist Susan Lenz. The installation is complete and that show will open on January 8 - 20, 2009 at Gallery 80808/Vista Studios, 808 Lady Street in downtown Columbia, South Carolina.
Part of the show includes 225+ fabric postcards that Susan has exchanged with people all over the world. These are only two of five sections of wall space exhibiting them all. I think I see mine hung left of center in the the middle row on the left wall of this photo.
A feature of this show involves world wide online participation by having a voting contest for a PEOPLE'S CHOICE award for the postcards and for ATC's (artist trading cards). If you'd like to cast your vote(s) go here. It's the comments that count! The postcard with the combined "most comments" (votes) from the exhibition will be the winner. In case of a tie, a random drawing will determine the winner on January 17, 2009.

Just in case you didn't recognize mine in the exhibition on the wall in the above photo, this is it ... #113
I can't make it to the opening, but I will see this exhibition on the weekend of the 17th. I can hardly wait to see it and to meet Susan.

The gallery photos are Susan's. Go to her exhibition journal blog by clicking here, then click on the photos there to see larger versions. You will see that my postcard really is hung there.

5 comments:

Kay said...

The postcards are wonderful, but I think I was even more impressed by the ATC's. I thought I could detect a difference in style between American and European artists. Americans seem to do more collage and abstract designs, while many European and Australian ones use embroidery and pictorial designs. This isn't based on scientific sampling, just an impression. I wonder if anyone else noticed the same thing.

Kristin said...

Beautiful postcard, Nellie! Thanks for mentioning the exhibition. Columbia, SC is about 1 1/2 hours away from me, and I think I will try to attend.

Kristin in SC

Unknown said...

Oh lucky you Nellie!!I would just love to see this and meet Susan. I left a comment on your post card and thank you for giving me one as well. There are so many wonderful little works of art!

Anonymous said...

beautiful work!

allie aller said...

Thanks for the link, Nellie. My head is often in the sand so I had no idea this was happening. I really enjoyed looking at all the postcards and seeing how all sorts of people used that little 4" X 6" space!