Nellie"s Needles

Friday, January 09, 2009

Presenting a "Nellie Bird"

I received this photo in an email this morning. The purple bird is the one gifted to my friend, Linda, in Milwaukee. The fabulous one with the fancy tail feathers is her creation.
Linda said, "Since this bird was born on your birthday, it seemed only proper that it share the name with its designer. The bird was great fun and went together so quickly with your instructions. Took both to my Milwaukee Art Quilters meeting and they wanted the website of course." Now, I'm looking forward to seeing what that creative bunch comes up with.

Here are updated photos of the birds made by my friend, Alicia. When I got to Milwaukee she saw the head dresses on the birds I gifted to our mutual friends. She quickly gathered her fuzzy yarns and got busy dressing her birds heads. Some of these birds you've seen before ... the ones she has made in my studios here in Tennessee or in Michigan.
The center one with the black floral fabric is a new one ...

... as is this little beauty ...
... as are these two.
An appropriate headdress for the one couldn't be found so he got a piece of yarn to hold in his beak.

These are added to the Picasa Web Album of "Birds" which can be viewed by clicking on that album in the sidebar. If you've made a bird using my pattern please email a photo or a link to share it.

If you'd like to join the fun of making these, my pattern and instructions are free. To download the bird pattern go here and here for the instructions.

5 comments:

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

That is it.....I am making some of those creatures. I will find the time somehow. :)

Jude said...

These are great and I'm also determined to try to make one very soon. Looks like there's no chance of these little creatures becoming extinct for a long long time.

Grangry said...

You certainly started something here Nellie! These birds are great fun.

Patti G. said...

Nellie, I have totally flipped over these birds! I am going to download your pattern and instructions and I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE, because I ADORE this creation and what a kind heart to share the pattern. Your friends have created wonders too with it......and I felt a sudden link to you as I read you have a dear friend Linda in Milwaukee! I have no idea who she is, but I live in South Milwaukee and it just gave me an instant close feeling! :0) YOUR QUILTS are breath taking! Ohhhhhhhhhh dear lady, the talents are overflowing in your little nest aren't they!!!!!!
Hugs,Patti

Mieke said...

This is so wonderful...Can I ask you where do you buy your fabric??
I am in love with those colors!!!!