Nellie"s Needles

Monday, February 23, 2009

I'm Done

"Imagine Monet" is finished ... I think.
Imagine Monet - 30" x32"
The binding and hanging sleeve are sewn in place. A bit of work with oil stick pastels has been added. There is definitely a tree standing on the right side. The trunk at the bottom was filled in by shading with black and gray pastels.
The pink and orange to the right of the couched yarn is added pastel work as well. I also strengthened and lengthened branches at the top. You can also see the added blue and violet pastels along with a bit of branch drawn in the top corner of that right border where it had been just background. To strengthen the illusion of a tree, I lightly drew dark broken lines in the center panel.
I thought I'd share the sample used for trying out ideas and different quilting threads and pattern as well as for getting the tensions adjusted on my machine for the stitching. It's a sandwich made with the same materials. You can see that at one point I considered coloring some of the leaves in my quilt pattern. They looked good, but I opted to keep the spaces open.
I use oil stick pastels to accent and shade many art quilts. They are heat set which also melts them into the fibers. But to have a heavier coverage of pigment requires more of the pastel on the surface. It concerned me that the colors may rub off onto other surfaces ... specifically hands and other quilts.

I did a research online for information of how artists set them on the even less porous surface of paper. The brand of fixative that tested as the best to "fix" pastels to paper was Krylon. Other brands of spray fixatives didn't set the pastels as well ... they more easily flaked off the surface. A number of fiber artists use Workable Krylon. I've discovered a Krylon spray that is UV-Resistant and is non-yellowing. To quote the product information:
It is a clear acrylic coating that provides a permanent, protective coating which protects art, crafts, and valuables against harmful UV light rays. Use to protect photography, watercolor, fabric, display materials, pencil, charcoal, florals, and more. Moisture-resistant and smudge proof.

There are strong cautions about spraying this product without using a face mask. One of those layered paper ones works well. It's also a good idea to spray outdoors.

16 comments:

Doreen G said...

Absolutely perfect.

Kay said...

I could definitely see the difference the broken lines in the center made even before reading the post. This is a beautiful piece, Nellie.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Nellie, Your artistry is positively magical! The border you've attached to the quilt is perfect. I especially love the colors you've used. What an achievement!

Joyce said...

It's amazing what a bit of pastel can do! It's perfect now. My husband does a lot of dry pastel portraits and he often uses Krylon fixative. It does smell a lot though. You are wise to take precautions.

Kim Hambric said...

Wow! Stunning piece. Sorry I haven't been to your blog in a while, so I missed the indecision on the orientation of the piece. I think you have most definitely made the right choice.

I also love how the center started out as a stand alone piece. It has finally found its home.

jenclair said...

Beautiful! The watercolor effect is just lovely.

arlee said...

Inspired! Small changes make big impact sometimes---wonderful! Changing the orientation was amazing alone :}

Kathy Raker said...

It is perfect, love the pastels. If you follow the line of the tree, the center piece almost appears translucent. I never used oil pastels. How do they differ from crayons when heat-set?

Corryna said...

I like the way you can look through the middle and see all kind of things, also things that connect with the border. Very nice

McIrish Annie said...

Yes you are and it is gorgeous! I love the tree it puts things in perspsective. Beautiful!

Libby Fife said...

I like the vertical orientation. The middle part really seems like a snippet of the larger part-yet both parts are strong enough on their own. That is a great balance I think.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Definitely Monet! Great piece and finding the tree makes it even more interesting. Thank you for the info on the Krylon. I have had my oils come off on the clothes I have on when accidentally rubbing against the quilt while pressing. It always bothered me that more would rub off at some point. So this is great to know.

jude said...

beautiful color and arrangement.

Anonymous said...

I love the way this turned out, thanks for sharing some of your process.

Vicki W said...

It turned out great!

Di said...

Absolutely beautiful and so delicate. You look once and see something and then look again and see something else. Perfect.