Nellie"s Needles

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

ArtPrize Entry

Today I submitted my entry, The Lake (9' x 7' installation piece) to the ArtPrize exhibition and competition that takes place in Grand Rapids, Michigan this next September.
Paper mock-up of "The Lake" (12"x 10")
 
And again, our older son created a template in Photoshop for me to drop the photos into place as they're completed.  This is a wonderful tool to more easily see how the flow from one panel to another is developing as well as seeing the over-all effect ... a difficult thing to do when the composition is in separate large pieces.

To date ten of the twenty-five panels are complete.  Just as was done when composing the smaller lake pieces in this series of 100, I started at the horizon.  For those 68 art quilts the first pieces I laid either in the sky or the lake set the tone and direction of my design decisions for the rest of the piece.  This is the overall effect that I'm aiming for ... an idyllic summer day at the water's edge.  It, along with the paper mock-up, are my reference material.  Both are pinned to my design wall at eye level so I stay on track with my plan.


Lake #32 (17" x 14")
Here is information about this art extravaganza:
 
**************************
We are living in a time of great change. New ideas, fresh inspiration will move us forward. There are enough art competitions where the winners are decided by a jury of experts. That's not the competition we are creating. We're looking for a giant conversation to happen between artists and the public. That is why we developed a radically open framework for this event, which gives power to everyone's opinion. When everyone's opinion counts, everyone is included in the conversation. This is the prize breakdown of the largest art competition in the world: 1st place: $250,000 2nd: $100,000 3rd: $50,000 4th: $7,000 5th: $7,000 6th: $7,000 7th: $7,000 8th: $7,000 9th: $7,000 10th: $7,000
Mission Statement:
ArtPrize exists to reboot the conversation between artists and audiences on a grand scale.
Website:  http://www.artprize.org
  Here is a flickr site with many photos of last years entries.

9 comments:

G'G'ma said...

I am so happy I will get to see "The Lake" at ArtPrize. Let us know when your venue is set. ArtPrize is such an exciting event for Grand Rapids and WestMI. And, it is so much fun to be able to vote for our favorites!!

Kay said...

What a great event! I hope I can go. When will you know your venue?

Heather said...

I foresee another massive masterpiece in the making Nellie. You don't believe in taking the easy option! Good luck with it.

Jagusia said...

Woooow!
Great work, beautiful colors :))
congratulations
Jagusia

Colleen Kole said...

This is beautiful and it would be an honor to have this in Grand Rapids! I am excited to watch you creating another amazing piece.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Fantastic. This is already beautiful and the fact that you recycle could not be a stronger message for this venue. I am soooo excited for you.

Diane said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this piece. It's a fabulous way to take a gorgeous landscape and make it even more interesting!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

What a beautiful piece. I can't even imagine making something that beautiful. I like the idea of breaking down the photo into cells....that is a great idea.

Smiles,
Kelly

Merry said...

Another beautiful piece....can't wait to see it grow.