Nellie"s Needles

Thursday, May 03, 2012

Painted Toy Boxes

Recently while I was looking for a specific photograph in our family scrapbooks, I came across pictures of the toy boxes I had created for each of our three grandson's first Christmas. The one below is Jackson's.

The three boxes were purchased from an unfinished furniture store. I used Seta Color fabric paint and acrylic medium, plus a big fat Sharpie felt tip pen to decorate them. The paints were diluted with the acrylic medium. I cannot recall exactly why I did that. I think it was because I liked the wood grain showing through the colors. All the design elements were defined by tracing their outlines with the Sharpie pen. The painted wooden letters that spell out each of their names were purchased just as they are. They were glued on after all the other painted designs were finished and several coats of plain acrylic medium had been applied as a finish.

Here is Jenning's ...

...and their cousin Winston's toy box ...
Their grandfather lettered this sentiment under each of the lids ...
The boxes are still in each of their rooms even though they're now teenage boys.


PS: I purchased and installed hinges that are made especially for toy boxes so the lids don't fall shut. Here's a link that carries them.

4 comments:

acasarella said...

1. I always LOVED those boxes!
2. How can the boys be that big?!

:)

Heather said...

The boxes are wonderful and will be used by many future generations I think.

p said...

maybe they will pass them on if they decide to have kids too...they are pretty cool nellie!

Quiltdivajulie said...

What fabulous keepsakes and treasures for those boys!!!